Monday, October 13, 2008

Is Graffiti Graphic Design?



According the Webster - Graphic Design is defined as : the art or profession of using design elements (as typography and images) to convey information or create an effect ; also : a product of this art

So, what sets graphic design apart from other media? Painting, Sculpture, Photography - is that graphic design? I came across this book called Graffiti Japan that highlights different artists and showcases their work. The book has great images of the work and check out the website as well - creative!

Click here to see more...

2 comments:

Tina said...

Ohhhh, I love Graffiti :") I mean, some of it anyway. I think Graffiti is a very legitimate form of art, though I'm not sure I'd classify it as 'graphic design'. I guess it is, though, based on definition!
I think that graffiti is most often seen as a vice because of the distasteful scribbles for 'territorial purposes' and vandalism, but I have seen some incredible graffiti and I think some day it will make it's way into a better, more respectable reputation within the art community. At least I hope for that, anyway. :")

Unknown said...

graffiti is a type of art in its own classification all together. it has little rules, if any, and can be extremely illegal, which makes it even cooler. Could you imagine a city without graffiti? Well I wouldn't want to, since graffiti colorizes our cities, and our boring colored train cars :)