Friday, August 15, 2008

What's with all the Rainbows?

The Beijing Olympics are all about rainbows? Why? What does it mean? Well, if you know anything about graphic design, you know that everything means something - or SHOULD have some relevance right? When you have the incredible budgets that China had to spend on design and branding - it will definitely tell a story.



Here are their icons, color-coded and with a symbolic meaning that is pretty interesting.



And speaking of logo design - London has faced major controversy over the design of their logo for the 2012 games. Critics say it's not worth the $800,000 they paid for the designs and the London newspaper even challenged the general public to see if they could design something better - for free no less. What do you think?





Click here to read the article in the London newspaper and see the other logo designs.

1 comment:

Chad Hunter said...

I think that this design is interesting although if you did not know what you were looking at you would have no idea what it was for. I would like to know what went on during the development stages to lead the design team here. I think though if I knew what the story behind it was I would be able to understand it better. I also am happy to know that I could charge 800,000 for a design that is not that spectacular...........2 solid colors and some straight lines....I could do that. HaHa